Pages

Ads 468x60px

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Blanking on the Severn!!

Got the chance for a days fishing and could not decide where i could go, i spoke to Woody Saturday and we both agreed that fishing would be hard either whereever i decided to go, i decided to go upto the higher end of the river Severn as i love the run out and its a lovely place to fish for Grayling plus the added bonus of a chance of a huge fish...
I was going solo and set off around 8 oclock, there had been a frost in the night and the skys were clear, yes it was going to be hard but its just great to be out fishing..
I loved the drive out and even called Mcdonalds for my usual lat'te, Woody does give me stick when i ask for these as my Stoke accent does not go well when asking for this 'posh' coffee!!
I arrived  to see a cristal clear river, it looked amazing as i could see everything and huge shoals of Ladies ghosting around..
I soon set up and after a few casts i could see these fish were totally switched off, after years of fishing i can spot this a mile off...from then on i had a wander upstream to try and find some rifles as to give me some stealth and hopefully find the odd fish willing to have a go....
The river was totally on it arse, a powerful river like this looked very much in need of a good wash out...
I knew i was going to struggle to get a fish and most of the time i would fish very hard to try and get one but today i thought 'fuck it' i was just going to enjoy the senery and the watch the Red Kites riding the thermals...
I did wait for a few hours to see if a hatch of LDO would come off and liven things up but it was not to be, i never saw one olive..
I did have a go on the dry which got me going when i had a Grayling move from its hold, follow the fly and turn away as it realized it was a hook and feather! The dry really does get me going and its not long now until i will be dry fly mad again, for me Grayling fishing has been superb and the czech nymph method is a joy to use, but for trout its got to be dry, that it....
I think i might get one more Grayling session in next week and then its time for me to start hitting that Wye where i must admit that 'dreams are made'....
So Dave (Squire) i have had a blank but they are 'good for the soul brother' i remember carp fishing in winter and going 23 times without a fish and broke the lake record on the 24th session!!!LTD
Nice one
Spot the Shoul of Ladies, there are twenty two fish shown if you count them!!
Glen

No comments:

Post a Comment