Pages

Ads 468x60px

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Buying a new kayak is a memorable and nerve-wracking experience

The author poles his new Native Ultimate 14.5.
Buying a new kayak certainly is a wonderful  wracking experience. The anticipation makes sleep the night prior quite difficult.


The purchase is the culmination of days or even months of research. You’ve finally settled on the brand and model that is perfect for you.

If you’re located in or near Sarasota, then you’ll want to buy your kayak from Economy Tackle/Dolphin Dive, 6018 South Tamiami Trail. The store is one of the largest kayak dealers in the country. They handle my favorite kayak, the Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 (http://www.nativewatercraft.com/).

You can buy your kayak loaded with all of the necessities. Or you can purchase a basic model and rig it yourself.

The latter is the most fun. I like to start with a basic kayak and turn it into a fishing machine. Your imagination is your only limitation.

For me, simple is best. My kayaks aren’t the most tricked out by any means. However, they’re quite functional, very comfortable and great fishing machines.

My kayaks don’t come with rod holders. I prefer to attach rod holders to a milk crate. The crate holds most of my tackle and I place it directly behind me. I can reach back and grab a tackle box or rod. In addition, the rod holder has slots for pliers, knives and de-hooking tools. Everything is easily within reach. You can ask your grocer for a milk crate or buy an office crate at Staples, Office Max or other store.

My most important addition is an anchor trolley, a simple device that allows you to anchor and then face any direction you need. The system is simply two pulleys and a line that runs between them. The line is connected to an O-ring.

You can buy a commercial kayak anchor, but I’ve found them pretty worthless. I use a foam-cover, hand dumbbell that I purchased at Walmart. They’re very functional, work great and will hold in most any wind. Mine weigh 5 pounds.

There’s a structural tube toward the bow of my Ultimate. I cover it with a foam pool noodle. I lay my rod against it when I’m paddling or changing flies. The foam protects and cushions the rod.

I did buy a bow spray skirt for my Ultimate and it’s a fantastic addition, deflecting spray and keeping errant wakes from entering my vessel. I also have a waterproof bow bag that fits neatly in the bow of my kayak and under the spray skirt. In the bag, I keep extra wading shows, rain gear, first-aid kit and other essentials.

I also added a paddle holder to the starboard side of my kayak. I holds my 9-foot Paddle Pole when I’m paddling. When I’m standing and poling my boat, I place my paddle in the holder.

I stand and pole my kayak quite often. It’s a great way to “sight-fish” reds, snook, spotted seatrout and other species. You’d be surprised how many more fish you’ll see when you’re standing in your kayak rather than sitting.

When I first started kayak fishing years ago, I figured I’d paddle to my favorite spot and then get out and wade. Didn’t take me long to figure out that you’re more stealthy in the kayak than you are out of it. So, I rarely wade these days.

Another thing that I discovered is that I catch more fish out of my kayak that I did wading or when fishing from a powerboat.

If you’re contemplating purchasing a kayak and need help, please feel free to call me at (941) 284-3406. And remember Economy Tackle in Sarasota holds free Kayak Demo Days twice monthly at Ackerman Park every other Saturday. Call Economy at (941) 922-9671 for demo dates and directions to Ackerman Park.

Remember, today’s kayaks are fishing machines that are very stable and easy to paddle. They’re not the sleek, tipsy boats that might be in your mind.

One good way to see if kayak fishing is for you is to go out with a kayak guide.

That’s me!







No comments:

Post a Comment