Pages

Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beach snook action heating up with the weather

Great day on the beach!
Lot of fish and a big one.
Totals: 22 snook to 36 inches. All on Gibby's D.T. Variation, a fly I consider the best beach snook fly going.
The fish weren't easy, and I had to work at it. They came in flurries of two and three. I'd catch two in a row, then go for 20 minutes without a fish. Then, they'd turn on again.
The big fish was particularly fun. I saw it slowly cruising about 20 feet off the beach, a scene that I've witnessed countless times over the past 20 years. Even though these fish rarely show interest, I still cast to them. I cast the fly about 10 feet in front of this big gal and let it sink. She turned to follow when I started the retrieve. She charged the fly like a mad bull and ate it.
Wow!
Not the greatest fight. Two long runs and then I was pretty much in control. Never took me into the backing, which was surprising.
Beach snook are my favorite. Love to walk the beaches and cast to these silver bullets.
I used a 6-weight TFO TiCRX with a sinktip line. Leader was six feet of 20-pound fluorocarbon.
Oh, yeah, I was fishing along Watermelon Beach, one of my favorite spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment