Pages

Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Standing in Your Kayak






Standing in a kayak is fairly simple. Just stand up and trust your boat. You won't tip over. Trust me.




I have a Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5, one of the most stable hybrid kayaks on the market. It's has a tunnel hull, tracks extremely straight and is pretty fast. The tunnel adds to its stability.




At first, I didn't stand very often. The boat felt too tippy. But a friend of mine, Jimbo Meador, stands in his all the time. He's a little bit older than me. I figured if he could stand and pole, then I could stand a pole.




While out fishing one day, I leaned as far as I could to my right. The boat tipped, but I could tell it wasn't going to capsize. I leaned to the left. Same thing.




Next time out, I stood up, realizing it wasn't going over and neither was I.




Why stand in a kayak? To see fish is great motivation. If you can see the fish, you can catch them.




You can't see them when you're sitting down. It's a whole different world when you're standing.




Try it.
That's my friend, Ken Taylor of North Port, standing and poling on his first trip out in a Ultimate.




Check out Native Watercraft Ultimates and other models at http://www.nativewatercraft.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment