Pages

Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pink Squirrel Part 2 of 3: How To Tie

  A few weeks ago I posted the first part of the Pink Squirrel. Part 1 was an article written by John Bethke who is the creator of this magical fly . On Part 2 I took some photos on how to tie the actual fly while I was prepping for the opener. On a side note, this fly can be used for fish other than trout. In my First Ice! post the secret bait I was using was a Pink Squirrel tipped with a waxie. The squirrel/waxie combo was my biggest producer on the hard water this year. Enjoy! And I hope this helps you catch some fish!

Hook- Daiichi 1530     Size 12-16
Thread- Black 6/0
Tail- Rainbow Flash
Body- Squirrel Dubbing (Driftless Angler Has the best dubbing for this fly)
        - Small Red Wire
Head- Pink(shrimp) Chennile
         -Gold or Tungsten Bead
Step 1- First step is sliding your bead head on to the hook and starting your thread. Tie in 3-4 pieces of the Rainbow Flash for your tail. I usually leave mine long and trim the tail to my liking at the end of the tie.
Step 2: Tie in the red wire

Step 3: Apply dubbing wax to the thread and then apply the squirrel dubbing. I usually put the dubbing on thin to about 3 inches of thread.

Step 4: Start to wrap the dubbing from the back to front. As I wrap the dubbing for the body in I will pull out any lose dubbing material.

Make sure you stop short of the bead leaving enough room for your pink chennile. Remove any excess dubbing from the body
Step 5: Wrap your wire around the body 3-4 times. Tie off in the front and snip the extra wire.

Step 6: Tie in your Pink Chennile. I typically give the chennile 1 1/2 wraps to get up towards the bead. An alternative to this is using a pink antron dubbing. This is just as effective and adds a little sparkle to the pink for some flash. Tie off and finish with a couple double whips

Step 7- add some glue to your thread to hold your whip finish. Trim your tail if you tied it on long. Also some like to trim the body hair down a bit. I like to leave mine a little wild, because to me it gives it a little bit of a buggyer look. 


Enjoy this fly! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope everyone has a great season! Tight Lines to all! Here is a link to the Driftless Angler Squirrel Dubbing http://www.driftlessangler.com/estore/details/29128/0/2827

No comments:

Post a Comment