Pages

Ads 468x60px

Friday, May 22, 2009

Finally got my fishing mojo back

I have been in a fishing slump lately. I have been going out regularly but no really catching anything.
We planned to go to Rukua village on Beqa to do a sevusevu and if we had time then a little fishing after.
The Tui Rukua was a very nice chief and we drank lots of grog and talked plenty. We spent about 3 hours with him and when we left we were thoroughly grog doped. No matter we had time for a fish so off we went to try a few new spots.
The wind was howling at a good 20-25 knts so we had to stay inside the reef.
Almost immediately upon fishing Rosie was on to a massive cod. It gave a good accounting of itself but soon succumbed to the 50lb braid. As she decided to have a break I took up her rod and had a few casts.
After about 15 minutes of drifting along and inshore reef we came upon a nice sunken coral head all by itself. I fired several casts at it when suddenly the water exploded and a giant hole opened up where my lure was. My line went tight instantly and the scream of the drag was unmistakable. I was onto a nice GT, finally. It was a good fight that the GT never gave up even at the end. After a few pictures the GT was in the water never looking back.
This was the first GT in the boat and I am hoping the end of my fishing slump.
Five more fish were landed during the session by others on the boat but I was one happy skipper.


Doing my sevusevu to the chief of Rukua village

Tui Rukua and myself

One big cod

One big mouth

In the heat of battle

Finally a GT

Tight lines

No comments:

Post a Comment